These days, there’s no shortage of romantic comedies that (for the most part) end in marriage, despite the zany hijinks that hinder the couple’s path to the altar. But what about breakup movies? After all, the majority of relationships fail, depressing as that is to say out loud.
Yesterday the Seattle Times gave voice to the Emerald City’s Scarecrow Video, which provided a list of classic breakup films to complement the new Ryan Gosling/Michelle Williams film Blue Valentine. Their picks: Modern Romance, The War of the Roses, and Everyone Else.
Here’s a list of a few other breakup movies for when you’re jonesing for a dose of reality:
1. 500 Days of Summer: This cute indie film features quirks galore, the underrated Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and the always-lovely Zooey Deschanel playing the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
2. Swingers: Sure (spoiler alert!), he gets Heather Graham’s digits in the end, but the real fun is seeing Jon Favreau pick himself up and dust himself off after being dumped.
3. Annie Hall: What woman doesn’t want to be Diane Keaton at the end of this movie? The confidence, the hair, the sunglasses!
4. Casablanca: Every time I watch this movie, I want it to end differently. But, of course, that’s what makes it beautiful.
5. Chasing Amy: Kevin Smith’s take on the fruitless pursuit. Joey Lauren-Adams has never been more adorable, and Ben Affleck’s pompadour has never been taller.
What’s your favorite breakup movie? Tell me in the comments!